by admin | February 15th, 2011
1. Local produce is better for you: It has been shown that fresh food loses it’s nutrients quickly. The quicker you get the food the better.
2. Local food tastes better: The fresher the food the better it will taste, and food you purchase from local sources you are cutting down on a lot of travel time and receiving fresher foods.
3. You help create and maintain local jobs.
4. Your money stays local and is reinvested in the community.
5. There is Less impact on the environment when food does not have to travel as far to get to you.
6. Preserves open space for us and wildlife: Farming landscape will only survive as long as farms are financially viable.
7. Supports local farms: Farming is unfortunately a vanishing occupation due to the large-scale production of our food. By buying local you are supporting your local farms you are ensuring that those families can afford to keep their farms working.
8. Helps keeps your local taxes in check: Farms contribute more in taxes than they require in services (unlike urban areas). The more farms we can maintain, the better we all are.
9. GMO-free: Biotech companies license their genetically modified products to large factory-style farms, further ensuring that food you purchase from smaller local farmers are GMO-free.
10. Local food is better for the future: If you support local farms today, you are helping to ensure that generations to come have access to an abundance to nourishing, flavorful food.